Science Standards: Grade 2
2.4 The student will investigate and understand that plants and animals undergo a series of orderly changes as they mature and grow. Key concepts include b) plant life cycles.
2.1 The student will demonstrate an understanding of scientific reasoning, logic, and the nature of science by planning and conducting investigations in which
- j) conclusions are drawn;
- k) observations and data are communicated;
- l) simple physical models are designed and constructed to clarify explanations and show relationships;
- m) current applications are used to reinforce science concepts.
Computer Technology SOL: Grade 2
Basic Operations and Concepts – C/T K-2.2 Identify and use available technologies to complete specific tasks.
- Use content-specific tools, software, and simulations to complete projects.
Technology Research Tools – C/T K-2.4 Plan and apply strategies for gathering information, using a variety of tools and sources, and reflect on alternate strategies that might lead to greater successes in future projects.
- Identify information in various formats.
- Recognize that information may be presented as printed text, electronic text, audio, video, or images.
Technology Communication Tools – C/T K-2.6 Communicate effectively with others (e.g., peers, teachers, experts) in collaborative learning situations.
- Use technology tools for individual and collaborative writing, communication, and presentation activities.
- Use word processing to practice writing skills.
- Use common graphic and presentation tools when preparing and providing presentations.
The 4 c’s
Critical Thinking: The students will work on a project to learn about parts of plants, they will explore outdoors and think of various plants that grow outside. They will think about what do plants need to grow? What are the different kinds of plants? Do all of them have same shape and size? Students can use a digital camera to take pictures. They can also collect leaves and other items required for the project.
Collaboration: Students will collaborate and work on growing plants from the seeds in classroom. They will decide on the best technology to record and measure the growth of plant and then deliver a presentation using technology like PowerPoint presentation, charts or science board.
Communication: Students will communicate and divide work to complete the project using various technological tools.
Creativity: Students will explore the website The Great Plant Escape and learn about growing various plants indoor. They will then decide which plant they will grow and why? They will work on a research project on recording growth of the plant and use creative ways to present the data.